Rossmönster Overland, an established expedition van builder based out of Longmount, Colorado, just announced the launch of The Baja, the company’s inaugural off-road, off-grid truck camper. Built on a half-ton, 3/4-ton, and a one-ton chassis, the Baja is an all-in-one 4×4 vehicle that has been designed to go where most recreational vehicles can’t. The release of the Baja provides further proof that the truck camper market is healthy and strong.
“We know that many people, including ourselves, prefer to adventure in hard-to-reach places where getting there is part of the experience,” explained Rossmonster Overland founder, Ross Williamson. “As such, we wanted to build a vehicle with the same craftsmanship and dedication to design that we’ve been employing in our van builds for years, but with a bit more capability to explore where others can’t.”
The Baja has been designed with an actuating hard-shell top that can be lowered, making the vehicle more compact, more nimble, and more capable than other expedition vehicles in the market today. Once at camp, the raised hard-top creates over a foot of additional height, while at the same time providing better insulation than canvas pop-tops. The campers can be entered through either the rear door or through an insulated pass-through from the cab of the truck. The camper features an insulated, roll-down partition to seal off the camper. This partition greatly minimizes noise from the camper, resulting in a more enjoyable riding experience.
The Baja’s beautiful interior distills the knowledge the company has gained from building adventure vehicles since 2015. The Baja sleeps two to four people depending on one of the three layouts chosen, offers comfortable seating for up to four in the cab, boasts a full kitchen with ample countertop space, and houses a lithium battery bank supported by a hefty, 400 watt solar array.
Interior features of the Baja include:
- Queen-size bed over truck cab w/ custom Tochta mattress
- Over-bed skylight
- Leather dinette/bed conversion
- Insulated cab pass-through entry point
- Full galley with fridge/freezer combo, induction cooktop and residential size sink
- A 30 gallon fresh water holding tank
- Exterior hot water shower (ability to add interior bathroom/shower depending on layout)
- Rixen hydronic heater/hot water system
- Multiple lighting zones; two dimmable overhead LED lighting zones, dimmable over-cab lighting, under-cab lighting, toe kick lighting
- Victron power system featuring a lithium battery bank, Bluetooth battery monitor, and 3,000 watt inverter.
Exterior features of the Baja include:
- Composite shell with an actuating topper
- Automatic rear door on electric actuators
- Custom aluminum frame for weight optimization
- LED light bars inlaid in camper shell and fog lights in the vehicle’s custom front bumper
- Custom front and rear bumper featuring a Warn winch and additional gear storage
- Upgraded rear air-bag suspension
- 4WD w/front and rear locking differentials (depending on chassis)
- A 400 watt Zamp solar array
- Customizable exterior rear storage racks
- Fiamma awning
- Exterior custom Maxtrax table mount
“Innovation and pushing the boundaries of what is possible gets Ross and I really excited. Launching the Overland series of campers has been incredibly rewarding because while we are used to pushing the boundaries of design and craftsmanship, this project forced us to push the limits of testing. In order to work out the kinks and confidently bring this new concept to market, our whole team was involved in rigorous testing that proved these truck campers can go as far as you are willing to push them.” Says Luke Farny, owner of Rossmonster Vans
The Baja is currently available on F-150, F-250, Ram 2500 and Chevy or GMC 2500 truck models (2019 or newer) with 6.5-foot beds. The company will work with customers to source a vehicle to ensure the right size, color and trim package for the build.
The Baja is being offered at an introductory base price of $175,000, which includes the truck chassis (the price varies due to upgrades and based upon desired vehicle trim package and truck model). For more information please visit the company’s website at rossmonsteroverland.com.