Home Forums Truck Camper Adventure Forum Wheels CRACKING

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      GregA
      Participant

So.. I have a 2020 f350 super duty and an Adventurer truck camper. After owning the truck for one year one of the rear wheels had a hairline crack on the inside of the wheel. I do have the camper on most of the time but didn’t go over any curbs or off-roading.

In 2021 Ford replace the wheel through a local dealer. Awesome. Last year (2022) it happened again. I couldn’t get any momentum with Ford and the local dealer couldn’t/wouldn’t either. So I paid out of pocket for a new wheel.

OK, come jan 2023.. It just happened AGIAN!!!!!!!!! Any hear of issues on these Aluminum stock super duty wheels? Any suggestions what I should put on it now?

Thanks-Greg

Mello Mike
      Keymaster

A cracked wheel is a tell-tale sign of an overloaded wheel. Are you over the GVWR/Payload rating of your truck?

Frank Mehaffey
      Participant

Hi Greg, Along with checking the weight, purchase a set of steel wheels for your truck instead of aluminum. Pretty wheels might sell heavy duty trucks, but I will bet that billet wheels are nowhere as strong as stock steel wheels.

Kevin MacAfee
      Participant

This post inspired me to check the condition of the aftermarket wheels on my 2015 Ram 3500 that carries a Bundutec camper. The wheels had 120k miles on them, many offroad. I did find a few hairline cracks and some missing chunks from hitting rocks. Finding steel wheels for this truck was harder than I thought so after much research, I purchase a set of Methods with a carrying capacity of 3800 pounds each. They weren’t cheap but they have a great reputation and should last the life of the truck.
      Thanks

Bill Rychel
        Participant

Do you have the part number of Methods that you bought?

Kevin MacAfee
          Participant

They are the method MR 707 in 18×9 size for my Ram.

Phil Patterson
      Participant

A few years ago my 3500 DRW was hit by a car dead center on the driver’s side rear dually…This not only bent the rear axle but caused the outside alloy rear wheel to look like a popcorn kernel…But upon a close examination of the wheel, there were sharp folds and bends, yet NO cracks!! …My suspicion is that a cracked wheel suggest a ‘cast product’ rather than a forged wheel, the same type used on Big Rigs – JMO

Phil

Attachments:
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.