Home Forums Truck Camper Adventure Forum Everything you ever wanted to know about Amateur Radio

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Joel Gambino
      Participant

Now that I have your attention……..

I’m updating my Introduction to Ham Radio presentation that I gave at the rally last February, so I wanted to solicit input from folks about what they want to know about ham radio. And those of you who attended my talk, please provide any input you have regarding content.

Are people more interested in 2 meter or long range HF? How about radio features and selecting a radio? Maybe how to install a radio in your truck or camper. Or considerations for summoning help in an emergency. These are just a few ideas to get the mind going.

If you have thoughts, please let me know and I will do my best to incorporate your input into the updated presentation. Then you’ll know everything you ever wanted to know about amateur radio.

Joel

Alex Blasingame

Hello Joel, how about this,I know nothing about Ham radio. What’s the difference between a 2 meter or other set up or even how to correctly set the system up.

Joel Gambino
      Participant

Thanks for the input Alex. I will incorporate these topics into the updated presentation. I’ll work on covering these in depth, but in the meantime here are brief answers:

2 meters is VHF and therefore “line of sight”. Depending on terrain, count on 5-10 miles radio to radio (simplex), or up to 100 miles when working through a good repeater. 2 meters is a good way to communicate when you are traveling with a group. And if you find an active repeater at home, it’s a good way to make friends on the air. In contrast, longer wavelength communications (High Frequency or HF) propagate much longer distances by bouncing off the earth’s Ionosphere. Therefore HF can provide a more reliable method of reaching the outside world when you are far from cell towers and 2 meter repeaters. One downside is that the antennas required can be more elaborate than those for 2 meters.

As far as setup, it’s similar to a CB. You need a radio, power supply and antenna. For a mobile, the power comes from the truck. You’ll need an antenna made for whatever band you are using, say 2 meters. And you will need to run coax from the antenna to the radio.

Joel

Scott Launey
      Participant

Can you explain the benefits of D Star and it’s installation in a truck?
      Scott

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.