Home Forums Truck Camper Adventure Forum Brake Pad Relacements

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      H2Power
      Participant

Hi All,
      I have a 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins dually with a GVW of 14000 lbs and I haul at capacity with an Arctic Fox 990. I often trailer a boat too bringing my total weight to 19000 lbs.

The front brake pads are original with 88000 miles and need replacement. Durability was decent, but I have not been impressed with the performance and would like to find a replacement pad with improved performance. Rotors still good, so I’m not planning on changing them, but I am interested in a better performing pad in terms of stopping power.

If anyone has experience with improved brake pads, I’m interested.

Thanks much!

Kevin MacAfee
      Participant

I typically use Power Stop pads and rotors on my 2015 Ram 3500 Hemi 6.4.. They make a huge difference, especially when hauling a camper around. Just a suggestion but if the rotors are original, I’d replace them as well.

Amazon has the complete kit with everything you need and its a pretty easy job.

Cheers

https://a.co/d/26VLMKQ

Stan
      Participant

I’m currently using Hawk heavy duty. They have great stopping power and are holding up very, very well. However, they do create a lot of dust.

If you plan on keeping the truck seriously consider an exhaust brake if you don’t have one. They significantly extend the life of all brake components. With my AF 990 I could go down a 6% grade without touching the brakes.

Your rotors should have wear indicator markings forged into the outer rim. They can be checked without pulling the rotor which us rather time consuming on the dually.

Tubo Diesel Register is a great place for all things Dodge Ram related. Snoot to toot. They have a plethora of articles for each year group.

Hope this helps.
      Stan

2017 Arctic Fox 1150 Dry Bath, 510 watts Solar, 300 Ah lithium battery, 2000 watt MPPT inverter, A/C, propane genset, various cabinet mods. Previous 2007 Arctic Fox 990 and 5vr.

2007 Dodge 3500 4x4 5.9 Cummins dually.

Attachments:
      John Vansant
      Participant

88,000 miles on the original front brake pads – and operating at GVW !!!

I would head straight to the dealer with the vehicle VIN an order a new OEM set of pads and rotors!

I don’t think most 2 axle trucks operating at GVW – and pulling a trailer are going to have stellar braking performance, no matter what the pad “material”…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.