Home Forums Truck Camper Adventure Forum 2024 Ford Super Duty tailgate/lights disconnection blues….

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Frank Mehaffey
      Participant

I have a brand spanking new 2024 F350. 4WD, extended cab, Timbrens, 8′ bed. Priceless. In order to put our Camplite 10’on, I have to take the tailgate off because of the waste tanks and stairway. That is fine, all 3 of my previous F250’s tailgates removlal were easy, but heavy, no surprise. Now on our brand new F350, there are 2 tail light disconnect cables and the camera plug to disconnect and put an extra pony tail under the truck to join the two ends of the open plugs for the tail lights, and I have to put a dead plug in the camera connection, to keep the connections clean. So every time I put the camper on or off, I or a more mobile mechanic than I am, need to crawl under the truck to regain the tail lights. Has anyone silently cursed the engineer at Ford, who thought up this bass ackward fix? Have any TC’guru’s out there thought of a DIY fix to move the mess into the pickup bed where a person could to the disconnection and pigtail without laying on the cold ground, or wet ground, or snowy ground, etc. My camper is on and off 20 times minimum a year.WTF was Ford thinking? Has anyone thought of a fix?

Frank Mehaffey
      Participant

Ok,deafening silence out there…..what if I just left the pigtail for the lights on full time, and got or had made, a two sided pigtail for the camera? I will run this by a Ford techie to see if that makes any sense.

Joel Gambino
      Participant

The big connector controls the tailgate latch, so if you left it disconnected, you wouldn’t be able to open the tailgate. I learned the hard way when I disconnected it with the tailgate closed.

I will be interested to know if you find a mod for this.

Joel

Frank Mehaffey
      Participant

My tailgate would be off, because of the camper needing the space above the rear bumper for the grey/black tanks….The extra pigtail to allow the rear lights to work would be connected, so they would work, tailgate on or off. What I need to figure out or have it thought out by a Ford techie, would be if I just left the pig tail on full time, and just plugged and unplugged the camera feed, would the tailgate lock still
      work. I know that the lock button on my key fob can lock/unlock the tailgate, but would everything work with the pigtail left on, and just putzing with the camera cord. Hmmmmm.

Joel Gambino
      Participant

OK sorry. After re-reading your post, your setup is different. I have a 2017. On mine there are two harnesses going to the tailgate. The smaller one is for the camera, and the larger one has the wires for the tailgate release. I can’t remove the tailgate without disconnecting both harnesses. I put the dummy plug on the bigger connector and connect an aftermarket camera on the camper to the other one. So I guess no help here.

Seems like the solution you are proposing makes sense though.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.