Home Forums Truck Camper Adventure Forum How much current should an F350 be able to supply my truck camper? Reply To: How much current should an F350 be able to supply my truck camper?

Russ
Participant

I installed lithium batteries in my Northern Lite and was frustrated by lack of charging from the 2017 F-350. The highest amperage I saw was roughly 7 amps when the batteries were at about half charge, but most of the time it was in the 4 to 5 amp range.
So I installed a Renogy 20 amp DC-DC charger, and immediately got the full 20 amps to the batteries. I did not upgrade the wiring, however, and suffered a melt in the umbilical plug at the rear bumper. I bought a Amprobe to read the current on each side (inlet and outlet) of the charger, and found when it was outputting 20 amps, it was drawing 30, which I believe is the what the truck’s charge circuit is fused at. No blown fuse, but the melted umbilical (female plug end) had been very sloppily put together.
One feature of the Renogy is the ability to run at half capacity, so I enabled that, and get a nice steady 10 amps to the batteries, with roughly 13 amp input to the charger. I’ll need to upgrade the wiring on the truck side before going back to the full power of the Renogy.