We are selling our expedition vehicle consisting of a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with a 2010 Outfitter Apex 8 Long-bed camper. Over the last 35 years I have explored Baja on a motorcycle and so many times I would come home telling Margo stories of the beautiful places we had been and amazing people we met, around 2008 I realized I needed to find a way to take Margo to these places. At first I thought a Sportsmobile was the way to go, but while working a pit in the 2009 Baja 1000 we saw many truck campers and realized that for about the same money we could get both a truck and an expedition vehicle. So project “Edgar and his living quarters” was born. We would build the perfect truck camper combination that could go anywhere in Baja with nearly the amenities of home.
We searched for the best truck and the Ram 2500 diesel was an easy winner. No DEF needed, runs perfectly on any kind of diesel we have ever put in it and rock solid reliable. We needed to be able to get into tight spots and travel comfortably down rough roads so it would need suspension upgrades, lighting, sound and onboard air as part of the build out to make the perfect base for our camper. We choose the crew cab long bed so our dog Mika had the whole back seat, and if our grown kids came along it was comfortable for them too, along with an 8-foot bed so there would be no rear overhang from the camper. I wanted good fuel mileage, great reliability and tons of power, the Cummins 6.7L I6 diesel coupled with the Allison 6-speed transmission has proven perfect. After purchasing the truck new we added:
- Four (4) Baja Designs Pre-Runner HID lights on a light bar, two spots and two floods. They light up the dark of night like daylight and have a relay tied to the high beam switch so they are easily turned off when oncoming traffic appears.
- ViAir 20001 onboard air compressor with holding tank capable of 200 psi. We custom fabricated a mount under the bed for the compressor and plumbed it to a quick connect located near the rear license plate. The intake filters air up under the hood to keep out dust and dirt. This airs up all four tires and is powerful enough to use when working on equipment.
- Car Acoustics audio package from famed audio designer Howard. His work is impeccable and he uses the best components. Edgar has JL Audio amplifiers, FOCAL speakers and JL Subwoofer with a Kenwood DDX 994 head unit.
- Suspension is fully optimized with Thurens upper and lower control arms, Thurens track bar, Carli lifetime ball joints, 2.5-inch King Shocks on all four valved by King in Los Angeles, Goodyear Ride-Rite Airbags with cradles on rear and wireless remote control.
We then ordered our Outfitter Apex 8 LB with nearly every option the Colorado-based company offers including:
- Extended cab overhead bunk (north south bed)
- One-piece fiberglass roof
- Roof-top solar
- Inverter 2000 watt full sine wave
- Extra 110 volt outlets
- Honda 2,000 watt generator
- Electric jacks and roof with remote control
- Microwave oven
- 10-foot side awning
- Coleman Mach 8 Air Conditioner
- Apex rack and ladder
- AS 22-inch Aluminum Scissor Step
- Nova Kool 7.5 cubic foot DC Refrigerator
- Dual 6 volt batteries
- Second Fantastic-Vent Fan over bed
- Flood light in rear, two porch lights, one on outside shower
- Huge 44 gallon fresh water holding tank, 22 gallon grey, and 12 gallon black
- Full size porcelain toilet with shower and vanity sink
The truck and camper fit together perfectly and drive great. We have loved this rig. It has taken us up and down the Baja Peninsula, around the White Rim trail in Utah, the full length of the Alaskan Highway beyond Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage and back. It’s comfortable, warm, has a full bathroom, lots of storage and a really nice bed. It is 12 years old with 202,000 miles and shows normal wear, yet nothing is broken. Everything works well but its not showroom clean any more. Maintenance is all up to date and has been professionally done since new. New replacement value is approximately $170,000. It’s a very nice rig and needs new owners who will get it back on the road. The rig is located in Auburn, California. Asking $65,000. Contact Duke at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an offer or to get more info/photos.
Have a truck or truck camper that you’re interested in selling? Sell it on Truck Camper Adventure. The cost to list your truck or camper is only $109. We have a national reach. The price includes a full-length feature listing on the website with up to 10 high resolution photographs. Your high-visibility, classified ad will stay active until your truck or camper sells. Our classified listings typically post on Saturdays and will be included in our weekly newsletter after it lists. To date, we have a nearly 100 percent track record when it comes to selling trucks and campers with reasonable prices. Contact us at email@example.com to list your classified, for sale item today!